So, I am a sucker for canned soup. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it feels warm like a real meal. I won’t lie I really do consider grilled cheese and tomato soup it’s own food group. I just can’t shake the feeling of a nice hot bowl of soup on a cold day. The way you feel the hot soup traveling down to your stomach. That feeling, to me, definitely lands in the top five best feelings a human can feel, you know right next to love and petting a golden retriever puppy. The only thing that discourages me when it comes to soup is the canned part. Now I’m not someone who really takes a lot of time looking at the ingredients list but I assume, due to that fact that a can of soup can sit on my shelf for over a year, that there are some not so wonderful ingredients in there that keep my soup edible. So, I decided to try making soup completely homemade.

The first step was to see what extra veggies we had lying around that I could throw into a big pot of soup. I found a whole butternut squash, 2/3 of a sweet potato, a whole white onion, 3 carrots, and a head of garlic. This whole project for me is truly about how to make my favourite foods healthier and convenience, so all of those veggies were truly just lying around. I am trying to make most of these recipes without having to make a stop at the grocery store but I suppose we will see how long that lasts.

The next step was to preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then to chop everything up. I started with the butternut squash, sweet potato, and carrots. Once those were all chopped up, I put them on a pan, poured some olive oil over top, mixed it all around, and then salted and peppered it all. I put them in the oven and began chopping up the garlic and onion.

Once this was all chopped up and ready to go I just waited for my other veggies to cook a bit longer. I did this because carrots, sweet potato, and butternut squash are much denser veggies than onion and garlic, which makes their cooking time a bit longer.

Once the veggies had cooked enough I took them out of the oven and added the garlic and onion. I then let everything cook for about 40 minutes. Once everything had reached a soft consistency I was able to take it all out of the oven.  

I then started putting the roasted veggies into my blender with some cold water. I had to do this step in sections as I did not have enough room for all my veggies in my blender at the same time. I continued to add more water into the blender until all the veggies blended together in a nice consistency.

Once I finished blending all the veggies I put them into a big pot and added some more water to reach my desired consistency. Next, I added some simple seasonings like vegetable broth, a roasted vegetable medoly, salt, pepper, and I also melted in two bouillon cubes. After I gave the seasonings time to mix in and the soup time to heat to the perfect temperature, it was finally ready!

This soup is packed full of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Potassium. Compared to regular canned soup, which when I looked into it, has barely any source of vitamins and contains almost 1/3 of your daily sodium intake.

I made a whole pot of this soup yesterday and as I am writing this post right now I believe there is only about one bowl left as my family devoured it, obviously I did something right. So if you feel like making soup here is your sign. It really isn’t that hard and in reality it is just a bunch of roasted veggies blended up with some seasoning added but once you complete the soup there is a great sense of pride.

That’s all for this week! Thanks for reading!

All photos taken by myself.